Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Right Time

It's the Funkie week over at Frilly and Funkie and we have our clock/time challenge  samples to share.  Oh my, please do be sure to stop by the challenge blog to see what the Funkie team has to inspire you.  They sure inspired me!

As you can see, I'm still obsessed with Wendy Vecchi's crackle embossing paste and I made another hanging piece (actually it can be hung or set up like a picture frame).  I started with a 6x8" piece of heavy cardboard.  A weathered clock die cut was made from chipboard and glued to the cardboard.  Then I gave it two coats of white embossing paste.  
Once the two coats of embossing paste were dry, I applied the crackle paste and waited ior it to dry.  Next I stenciled the Clockworks stencil over the dry crackle paste using Ranger Jet Black Archival ink.  To give the piece a little color and vintage flavor, I sponged lightly with Vintage Photo and Tumbled Glass DIs, then misted it with Perfect Pearls Mist in Biscotti which blended the ink and gave it a subtle gold sheen.  The clock face and the edges were then sponged with Walnut Stain DI and the metal embellishments were added.  I painted the metal with gesso colored with a drop of archival reinkers in Leaf Green, Cornflower Blue and Orange Blossom.  When the paint was dry, I burnished the metal with my Vintaj reliefing block to reveal the bronze metal underneath.  

The sentiment was computer generated, cut out and edged using a credit card and jet black archival ink.  I aged it by applying a light layer of Vintage Photo distress ink, then applied embossing ink lightly, sprinkled on UTEE, flicked most of it off and heat embossed it.  Then i sponged more Vintage Photo DI over it to give it that blotchy look.  

This was really a fun project to make.  I hope you enjoyed looking at it.  Don't forget to stop by Frilly and Funkie to see the other projects.  And we would love to have you play along too!



These products used to make the project above can be purchased at The Funkie Junkie Boutique where Tim Holtz/Ranger/Wendy Vecchi and most other name-brand products are always 20% below MSRP.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love everything about it! The crackle, the texture, the clocks...everything! Really fabulous!

Marci said...

This is beautiful! The crackle is great and I really like the clock center on the flower.

Aspiring crafter said...

Love this Linda and all the techniques you have used.
Thanks for sharing xxRuth

Nancy Dynes said...

Oh my gosh! How do you do it? ANOTHER gorgeous project! I am learning so much from you. When you mentioned on Tuesday that you hadn't had time to put anything together yet, but you would have something soon, I was thinking how I would be panicking at that point. You are just THAT AWESOME!
Hugs,
Nancy

Jenny Marples said...

Superb Linda. So much going on and yet the sentiment still takes centre stage. You are such a clever designer. Jenny x

Brenda Brown said...

That crackle background is superb I just love the design xx

Maryanne said...

I just love this piece, Linda. I love the technique of using the UTEE and flicking it off to get a speckled look. And, the metal pieces are fantastic. Love the clock face in the middle of the flower!!

Juliz Design Post said...

This is fabulous Linda. Reminds me of an old vintage fireplace tile that has cracked over the years with the heat. Wonderful techniques used.

Julie x

Deb said...

Wonderful! I see I am going to have to buy some Wendy Vecchi embossing pastes, beautiful effect!

Words and Pictures said...

Stunning, Linda! The crackle looks absolutely amazing (I'm still finding my way round it, and getting so much inspiration here, thank you) and the flowers, clock and quote all work brilliantly together. Fabulous make.
Alison xx

Gwendolyn Taylor said...

Beautiful. I just found your blog and had to order some of the embossing paste. Thanks for sharing

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com