Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Rodeo

I u
Hello and welcome!  I'm back today with my monthly posting for Our Creative Corner.  Alison is our host this month and her theme is "With a Song in Your Heart".  Entries must be based on a song and include some of the lyrics.  

I decided to base my piece on the song Rodeo by Garth Brooks.  I had no reason to use the song except I heard it recently and it reminded me of this Tim Holtz samp set, which I really like and rarely use.  So I dusted it off and put it to work.  I started with a 5.5x7.5" piece of cardboard, gave it a coat of Wendy Vecchi's black embossing paste and when dry, I gave it a coat of Wendy Vecchi's crackle embossing paste.  

Once the crackle paste was completely dry, I colored it with a mix of rubbing alcohol and Potting Soil andCornflower Blue archival inks.  The black stars top and bottom were stamped directly onto the crackle using jet black archival ink.  I didn't like the way that came out so when I stamped the saloon and cowboy, I stamped onto Wendy Vecchi's Clearly for Art, again with jet black archival ink and when dry, I trimmed it out.  They were glued down with mat multi medium - just a small amount around the edges.  

The Tim Holtz Stars stencil was used with white embossing paste to add the starts and when dry, they were sponged over with Vintage Photo.

The banner with the song lyrics was printed on my printer on card stock, hand cut and sponged a bit with Vintage Photo DI.  Then a coat of UTEE was applied and flicked off so it didn't cover thoroughly.  Once the UTEE was melted on, I sponged over it again with Vintage Photo DI.  The star was cut from chipboard, stained with Vintage Photo distress stain and Vintage Photo distress glitter was applied using glossy accents.  

And that was that...please stop by Our Creative Corner to see the amazing artwork created by the rest of the team.

Thanks again for visiting my blog!



The products below were used to make this tag and are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique where Ranger/Tim Holtz/Wendy Vecchi and most other name brands are always 20% below MSRP.



14 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

Brilliant Linda!! The effect of the two pastes on the background looks so wonderful and I adore how you have finished it. Perfect for the song you chose!!

Laurart said...

WOW! Linda this is so gorgeous! I love that crackle - it is amazing and adds such a rustic vintage look to this creation. Add in the fact that you used a Garth Brooks song (I adore him!) and your subject was the Wild West - a part of history that I have been very interested in since I was little - This all adds up to be the creation of my dreams! Love from Laura xxx

Jenny Marples said...

Love the idea of stamping on the Clearly for Art and layering it over the background. Looks incredibly dimensional. Love it Linda. Jenny x

Redanne said...

After seeing this wonderful creation, I think I now 'need' that stamp set! Hugs, Anne x

Claudia N. said...

Awesome! LOVE the distressed and worn look of this brilliant make, Linda!

Terrific colours too! And the crackle lifts it to the next level! Wow!

Claudia x

Words and Pictures said...

I'm so glad the song inspired you to get out this stamp set - I love this piece! The crackle is simply stunning, and the wild cowboy stamp is the perfect image to complement the song... I love the banners you created for the wording too - so cool! Brilliant response to the challenge, thank you!
Alison xx

Nicole Wright Designs said...

Love this! Every time I see this stamp it reminds me of the Calgary Stampede. The crackle is awesome.

Maryanne said...

Wow! I love this! The crackle background is amazing and perfect for the theme! Love all your additions, too!

wendy vecchi said...

this blew me away!
it's absolutely 100% PERFECT!
wow...

Cardgenie said...

Wow, this piece of Art is fantastic. Any chance of a step-by-step on how you created the colour over the crackle? Your work is so inspiring. Thanks. Jean.x

julie said...

Gorgeous the textures are amazing what a great piece of art work xxx

julie said...

Amazing piece of art work the textures are.stunning xxx

Terry said...

Fabulous masculine project! I love the cracked background and you were wise to stamp the cowboy and saloon on Clearly for Art. Sadly I have done the stamping on crackle and for some images it is great, but others not so much! Great idea and great vintage feel and I think I will be signing that song all day! Hugs!

Maggie said...

Gorgeous effects and I love these stamps fabulous project

MaggieH

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com