Thursday, April 24, 2014

On the Runway


I'm back today to share a piece I made for the new challenge over at Frilly and Funkie.  Cec is our hostess this time and she has a fun and feminine challenge called On the Runway.  All you have to do to join in is submit a fashion or inspired vintage style piece.  We hope you will play along with us!

I started this piece with the intent to just use the burlap rectangle as a backing, but I had so many fun pieces I wanted to include that it just kept growing.  I started with the Postage Stamp die cut from chipboard and covered it with another piece of card stock which was originally white.  I stamped the Distress Damask stamp in embossing ink and embossed with Weathered White EP and then sponged the entire piece with Stormy Sky.  It was originally supposed to be oriented in the other direction, but in the arranging step I decided to rotate it.  I recently got these darling little silver tone hanger charms in the boutique.  They do have a loop at the top for hanging, but for this piece I took a pair of wire cutters and snipped them off.  I cut the bodices out of vintage label paper and created the skirts, one with lace from my shop and the other with Melissa Frances vintage crepe paper.  A bit of lace on one and a silver tone floral corner on the other decorate the waist lines.  
I have a favorite stamp set from Papertrey Ink that has so many wonderful button card, buttons and sewing sentiments in it.  I used it for the stamping, creating a vintage button where I placed some pretty buttons from my shop.  
I created faux fabric swatches cut out from the Maja Design Sofiero collections and hung them on with an acrylic rhinestone safety pin.

I love these little vintage style wire hangers from Melissa Frances.  They work so perfectly for creating wall hangings.  I topped it off with some seam binding crinkle ribbon dyed with watered down Aged Mahogany distress stain and embellished it with a heart and a barrel bead which I painted silver with silver alcohol ink mixative.  

That wraps up the details for this fun make for the On the Runway challenge at Frilly and Funkie.  Thank you so much for stopping by!



These products were used to make the above piece and are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique where most name brand products are always 20% off MSRP.

14 comments:

Cec said...

This is gorgeous and full of lots of wonderful eye candy. I love the two dresses with their flirty little skirts and their vintage bodices.
Hugs!
Cec

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Absolutely gorgeous creation!!

Maryanne said...

I love this, Linda! It's so full of eye candy. I love the dresses and their embellishments!
Really great!

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, what a delightful creation, Linda... the little dresses are so beautifully designed, and I love the buttons and the swatches hanging from the pin - so many lovely details everywhere you look!
Alison xx

Viv said...

Linda I cannot tell you how much I adore this project. It's absolutely beautiful and if I knew where you lived I would be breaking and entering to steal it! Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous.

Evelyn S. said...

Linda...you are amazing! I couldn't begin to think of a piece like this, so I love seeing the creation of an artist such as yourself.

Ana K. said...

Linda this is awesome!

Robin said...

I think this is one of the most awesome projects I've ever seen. It is absolutely GORGEOUS!

Win Dinn, Artist said...

What a fun project, and delightfully fashionable!

Nancy Dynes said...

Linda,
Your piece is just so perfect and sweet, words cannot describe. I love the little dresses on their tiny hangers, the button card, the fabric samples, and EVERYTHING! It is obvious you put a great deal of love into the creation of it.
SO beautiful!
Hugs,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

So pretty! The dresses would make perfect theatre costumes.

Jenny Marples said...

This is such a beautiful piece Linda. I love that damask background and the wonderful little dresses. Jenny x

Mona Pendleton said...

Wow Linda! So very beautiful and frilly! Love the sweet dresses and your attention to detail! That bow looks amazing! Thanks for the inspiration!

Shirley said...

Talk about dressed for the ball! Your dresses are wonderful, the embellishments are out of sight! I love the buttons, the pins, the burlap, the petal ribbon trim....oh well, I like it all!~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com