Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Flights of Fancy

I'm back with our week two of Trace's Flights of Fancy challenge at Frilly and Funkie.  The theme is to highlight spring with things with things (limited to birds, butterflies and bees).  I set out to make a sunny piece with some spring greens and flowers, but ended up limiting my flowers to one.  I really didn't have a plan in mind and had limited time too so I just sat down with a piece of Ranger specialty stamping paper, some archival inks and rubbing alcohol thinking I would make a background a la Wendy Vecchi.  But I wanted to lay down some texture first so I stamped a flourish stamp in the upper left and bottom right corners, inking the stamp with Picket Fence distress paint.  Then I grabbed some embossing powder - verdigris in the top right corner and then added some Weathered White embossing powered through the new Speckles stencil.  Then I inked the entire panel using the rubbing alcohol mixed with Potting Soil, Leaf Green and Coffee archival inks.  After that I added some vintage style script with jet black archival using the stamp from Tim Holtz's Apothecary set.
That finished up my background panel and I loved the way it looked.  Now it was time for embellishments.  I ripped a piece of corrugated cardboard, inked it up with Walnut Stain and applied White Wendy Vecchi embossing paste.  When that layer was dry, I went over it again this time with Wendy Vecchi crackle embossing paste.  The sentiment is from Stuff to Say.  I stamped it on a scrap of paper that I had played around doing some stamping and inking on .  I liked it on that background better than on plain card stock.  My flower was cut from (bottom layer) the Jumbo Tattered Florals XL die and the (top 2 layers) Tattered Flowers decorative strip die from white card stock.  I embossed the layers with Verdigris embossing powered and colored them with Scattered Straw distress stain and edged with Vintage Photo.  It was topped off with a little metal flower from my shop to use as a flower center.  

I used the Garden Greens die to cut a book page, doused it with coffee and baked it at 250 degrees for 10 minutes, doused it and baked it again.  
I still needed some things with wings.  I pulled out the largest of the bronze butterflies in the shop and gave it a verdigris patina using Snow Cap mixative, Pool an Meadow alcohol inks.  Then I stamped the moth stamps from the Tim Holtz Papillon set on white CS with jet black archival, rubbed a little Vintage Photo over them to age them and covered with an epoxy dome seal and then trimmed around the circular edge.
I really like this piece.  I don't think it photographed to advantage despite the fact that I took about 40 shots at different light settings.  I also had a ball messing around with all the yummy goodies.  It was a nice relaxing few hours in my craft room after cranking on my tax return for two days!  I hope you will come over to Frilly and Funkie and play in this challenge with us.  



These products that were used to make the piece above are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique where Tim Holtz/Ranger and other ename brand products are always 20% below MSRP.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Love Everything about it!!

Jenny Marples said...

I adore the way you've used the embossing powders over this to create delicate detail both on the background and the flower. It hadn't even occurred to me you could emboss before inking. Another thing on the 'to do' list!! Jenny x

Brenda Brown said...

Mmmmmm wonderful composition and textures and I love your things with wings xx

Shirley said...

Wow, Linda, I am so hoping by seeing your beautiful projects like this one, your talent will rub off on me!! I like how you treated the flower, the paper you used for the leaves, the corrugated piece, our butterfly.... I liked it all!!

akmoose said...

Love your card! Ski season is winding down. Hope to get into my room to create before gardening season starts!

akmoose said...

Love your card! Ski season is winding down. Hope to get into my room to create before gardening season starts!

Words and Pictures said...

Absolutely love this, Linda - that long strip of text, the corrugated card, the butterfly - it all works so brilliantly together - beautiful!
Alison xx

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com