Sunday, April 6, 2014

Birds and Butterflies

Hello, I hope you are having a lovely spring Sunday!  

This week for my Artistic Outpost DT posting I decided to play around with my distress paints and pulled out some lovely spring colors - Squeezed Lemonade and Broken China.  I gave them a good shake and then instead of scribbling them onto my craft sheet, I splatted them - lightly so it created a ringed dot rather than a whole splatter.  I misted them a bit with water and then turned my jumbo manila tag face down on them and burnished the back to pick up the color/pattern.  I did that a few more times and made a few circles with the distress paint dabbers right onto my tag.  I dried the tag between each application.  Then I filled in the color by sponging the tag with Squeezed Lemonade and Broken China distress ink.  I finished off the background with a little spritz and flick.  
Then I went to work with the stamping - the sentiment from Serenity, the numbers from Generation Redux, the grid from Whimsical Melange and the song bars from Ephemera Backgrounds, all stamped with jet black archival.  The large butterflies were stamped with a flourish from Serenity using both Squeezed Lemonade and Broken China.  They were also misted with Perfect Pearls Biscotti mist.  I added some Prima rhinestone flourishes and a bird from the new Tim Holtz Adornments - Nature pack.  The bird had Picket Fence distress paint rubbed over it with my finger.    Once I glued down the bird and butterflies, I still felt it needed a bit more.  I stained a strip of paper with Worn Lipstick and stamped it with the music note stamp from Ephemera Backgrounds and used my new Butterfly Frenzy die to cut them out.  I like the extra pop of contrasting color.  And, hey, guess what?  I managed to make something without using a stencil or embossing paste - LOL.  I think it's been awhile since that has happened.

Thanks so much for stopping by today!


These products used to make the above tag are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

7 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

So full of springtime light and joy - much needed as we've another grey, rainy day here. Love those butterflies!!
Alison xx

Jenny Marples said...

Can't believe this! I often end up getting circles of paint on my cards that then need spritzing and blending to make them disappear. Shouldn't have bothered if I'd known how good they were going to look!!!
I love that dotty background and of course, the butterflies; what a fabulous way of capturing Spring on a tag. Jenny x

Redanne said...

The splats look amazing Linda and the colours are perfect for spring - and then the butterflies - they are gorgeous, especially the frenzy ones. Hugs, Anne xx

Hettie said...

What a beauty Linda. So fresh looking.
Hugs
xx

rachel said...

so very pretty Linda - great background - lovely xx

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely tag. Gorgeous colours & the background looks great.

Brenda Brown said...

Utterly delightful Linda - love the wonderful Spring like colour palette and fantastic background xx

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com