Saturday, February 1, 2014

Color Challenged!

It's time for our monthly challenge over at Our Creative Corner.  Jenny is our host this month and she has given us a color challenge - use ONLY blue, brown and purple/plum (no black stamping lines!).  I was okay with blue and brown - love that color combo.  But when I saw that I also had to add purple, that stopped me in my tracks!  I spent a number of days fretting over what I was going to do for this challenge.  But I finally just sat my butt in my crafting chair and started fiddling around and before I knew it, this was the outcome.
If you have been hanging around my blog, you already know that I am totally hooked on this Flourish stencil from Prima.  I grabbed a piece of stiff cardboard and appliedWendy Vecchi white embossing paste through the stencil.  Once it dried, I brushed it with gesso and when that dried, I gave it a wash of Faded Jeans distress stain mixed with a little bit of Perfect Pearls Perfect Pearl.  Then after that dried, I sponged over the high points with Vintage Photo DI and then again with Frayed Burlap ('cause I didn't think the VP was dark enough).
Then I did a bit of ink stenciling through a couple of Wendy Vecchi stencils using Frayed Burlap DI.  The image was stamped using Potting Soil archival ink and clear embossed.  The panel was sponged with Vintage Photo DI and painted with a water brush and a Seedless Grape DI pad.  The body of the dragonfly was colored with a Broken China distress marker.

The ivy was cut with the new Spring Greenery Decorative Strip die from white CS, sponged with Vintage Photo and misted with Perfect Pearls Heirloom Gold.  The seam binding was dyed with Seedless Grape DS.  The dragonfly pin and the filigree flower were both bronze and I darkened them with Espresso alcohol ink.  I topped the flower off with a carved coconut shell button from the shop and then embellished the dragonfly pin with a few purple crystal and gold beads.  The sentiment is held on with a mini paper clip and a hitch fastener.

That's it.  Sometimes it's good to sit down without a plan and just play.  I was really happy with the result of my crafting session.  Thanks so much for stopping by and please do hop over to Our Creative Corner to see the projects the amazing designers on the DT have to share!
Oh and one more thing!  We have a great challenge sponsor this month and they will be awarding a prize to one randomly drawn participant.  Hope you will play along!



These supplies used to make the project above can be purchased at The Funkie Junkie Boutique, where Ranger/Tim Holtz and most other name brand products are always sold at 20% below MSRP.

15 comments:

Inkypinkycraft said...

A gorgeous project and love your background! Hugs trace x

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful. I love how the purple ribbon & the dragonfly's wings seem to have a similar texture.

Words and Pictures said...

So beautiful, Linda - absolutely love that extravagant bow - so opulent in Seedless Preserves, and the textured flourish background on the card is just perfect - brilliant!
Alison xx

Mary Elizabeth said...

Wow this is yummy!! I love the colors and the soft wash and texture of the background. And that dragonfly is one my favorite stamps ever. Fabulous make Linda!!

Viv said...

Fab project Linda

Julie Lee said...

This is fabulous! I would be challenged by purple too! You have really risen to it and produced a gorgeous piece of art. I must give this colour combo a try this month! Julie Ann xx

Paper Profusion said...

Really beautiful Linda! Nicola x

Jenny Marples said...

This is beautiful Linda. Love the way you've added the dragonfly pin to match the stamped one, carried the purple through from the wings to the ribbon and of course used that stencil for the background. So glad you got to enjoy making this. Jenny x

marda said...

Love it, see some things I'm going to have to buy from you!!!

Brenda Brown said...

Your colour mixing worked perfectly Linda and what a fabulous result. I love the texture, the stamping and gorgeous embellishing, you really didn't need to worry you always create such beautiful designs xx

Maryanne said...

I love what you did for this challenge, Linda! That stencil is beautiful and the blue shows it off so well. A very lovely project!

Claudia N. said...

Gosh, that vintage shabby background is soooo cool, Linda!

I will have to give this one a try for sure (and practice a lot for sure too ;).
A wonderful make!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Redanne said...

This definitely was not the easiest of challenges but you have taken it to another level with this gorgeous creation Linda! That Prima background is stunning, the bow is just gorgeous - I love so much about this piece! Stunning. Hugs, Anne x

Julia S-W said...

I just love that background you've created Linda - think I need that stencil!! The stamp used is so beautiful in the colours you've used (I have that stamp but never thought to use these colours on it!). I'm not much of a ribbon girl but your bow makes me want to start grabbing what I have and seeing what I can do!!
Juliaxx

barbarayaya62 said...

Mixing these colors is not easy, the result you have gotten is fantastic and very balanced! The background is beautiful and the dragonfly is perfect! Thank you for your kind words on my blog, I was really happy to read that you enjoyed my tag! BArbarayaya

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com